Dr. TCM Li Lai Tian
China Shandong Medical University, China
Inspired by the ancient holographic theory and influenced by the heated holographic research in the modern times, I published “On Chrono-holography” in 1986,and invented a holographic diagnostic- therapeutic instrument in the following year.
My invention was sent to the 15th International Invention Fair held in Zagreb, Yugoslavia, by the State Science and Technology Commission. It won the gold medal at the fair, and also the patent in China.
On the basis of years’ clinical experience, I developed the mental-psychological holographic analysis and diagnosis, which signifies the progress of holographic diagnosis and treatment from the category of pure biology medicine to that of biology-psychology socio-medicine.
I published “An Introduction to Holographic Medicine” in 1989, clarifying a series of principles in the new subject of holographic medicine. In 1991, my Holographic Medicine came out.
With the joint effort of medical workers through the years, holographic medicine has been developing quickly. The Holographic Medicine Research Association of China, founded in 1994, has gathered together a considerable number of experts on holographic medicine.
And, at present, near 1,000 professionals are working for the development of holographic medicine. The national conference of holographic medicine has been convened twice (in 1994 and 1996 respectively) with two thesis collections published, and the third is now in preparation.
What Is Holographic Medicine?
As a new branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), holographic medicine takes basic principles of TCM as the foundation.
Under the guidance of the long-evoluted holographic relation of human anatomy and physiology, of human mind and psychology and chrono-holography, holographic medicine starts with the concept of wholism and differentiation of symptoms and signs.
Its range of study includes holographically-related changes between holographic units of the human body and the overall stereo-space or rhythms of chrono-holography, holographically-related changes between holographic units of human mind- psychology and the overall space or chrono, holographically-related changes between the body and mind, holographic relation between the body and the drug, and holographically superior drug.
By applying these inter-related features, rhythms and changes, holographic medicine, as a new subject, aims to regulate human physiology and psychology. By using basic diagnostic and therapeutic approaches, such as non-traumatic therapies, acupuncture, holographic diagnostic-therapeutic instrument and mental-psychological holographic analysis, and by studying holographically related common features between several stereo-gradations and the whole body, holographic medicine prevents, diagnoses and treats diseases.
Basic Principles of Holographic Medicine
On the basis of TCM principles, the concept of wholism and differentiation of symptoms and signs, holographic medicine makes use of the relation between holographic units and the whole body of human, and the interrelation among holographic units to prevent, diagnose and treat diseases. The establishment of the concept of holographic unit shows the meaning of the basic principles of holographic medicine.
The concept of holographic unit has two aspects of implication. First, it means the part of human body which has its own independent function, and which bears overall information of the body as well. Ear, eye, nose, tongue, for example.
Each holographic unit possesses its special anatomy and physiological function empowered by the body. For example, an eye can see, ear can hear, hand can carry and foot can walk. At the same time, it reflects the overall information of each part of the body, that is, the information reflected at point-areas of holographic units that shows the anatomy, physiological changes and differences of each part of the body. For example, on the face of the middle fingertip, there are point-areas reflecting changes of the vertex, ear and blood pressure.
On the great-toe massage reflex area, there are point-areas reflecting changes of pituitary gland and trigeminal nerve. Holographic medicine, in this way, diagnoses diseases with the help of the changes at point-areas of certain holographic unit, and then, treats diseases of each part of human body.
On the other hand, holographic unit also refers to human mind and psychology. Any change in human body cannot take place independent of human mind and psychology, which are holographically related. Each individual’s mind and psychology reflect the mental and psychological characteristics of certain community or of human race as a whole; on the contrary, the mind of the entire human race is the aggregate of individual minds.
Individual minds influence and enrich the mind of certain community or of human race. As a result, individual mind, community mind and human mind as a whole are all holographically interacted. As far as a single person is
concerned, his mind should be shown in kinds of mental holographic units, such as thought, feelings, consciousness, will, sense, disposition, memory, thinking, imagination, ability, idea and perception.
All these mental holographic units co-ordinate into a mental whole and each contains the overall information of the mental whole. For example, each individual’s thought is stamped with the brand of a certain class. Thus, it can be said that every mental holographic unit contains the mental whole, and is also contained by other mental holographic units. In other words, the mental whole can be seen through each man or through certain mental holographic unit of him.
All this exposes the holographic relations in human mind and psychology. Holographic medicine contributes to the human health by applying this holographic relation between the individual and the whole, or interrelation among holographic units.
Any substance system is the unity of space and chrono, and the holographic unit in holographic medicine is no exception. So holographic unit is also clearly featured by chrono-rhythms.
That is to say, any holographic unit, physical or mental, indicates not only space holographic correspondence with the whole body or with other holographic units, but also the holographically-related correspondence of certain chrono-rhythmical changes between itself and the whole body or other holographic units.
From the point of biology, holographic unit displays a series of corresponding changes of chronical or rhythmical holography, for example, biological recapitulation as a whole, annual rhythm, seasonal rhythm, monthly rhythm, weekly rhythm and daily rhythm, etc.
From the point of human mind and psychology, individual mind and psychology can show different holographic changes in correspondence with time, place and community. From the point of either side of the two, (biology, and mind & psychology) holographic unit shows changes of chrono-rhythms concerning birth, growth, youth and dotage.
So, in holographic medicine, holographic unit means the part of human body which is particularly functioned or characterised in morpho-physiology, in mind and psychology, and which indicates the information of the whole body, such as ear, tongue, foot, hand, eye, nose, scalp, thought, feelings, consciousness, will, sense, disposition, memory, thinking, imagination, ability, idea and perception, etc.
Any holographic unit is empowered by the body to be morpho-physiologically functioned. Besides, on its point-areas, it also indicates anatomy of each part of the body, and changes and differences of physiological holographic information of the body concerning chrono and space.
For example, a hand is empowered by the body to work; and on it, there are near a hundred points indicating the overall information about space or chrono changes and differences of organs on human body. There exist common features between one mental holographic unit thought, for example, and another holographic unit— sense, for example; or unity between one mental holographic unit and individual mind, community mind or even human mind as a whole.
But each of these elements has its own independent specialities. Both the common features and the specialities not only have space holographic relation, but also are holographically featured by certain chrono-rhythms.
From the above, it can be concluded that, in holographic medicine, the concept of holographic unit emphasises the information of the whole body that it can reflect.
More specifically, this information is the epitome of the whole body included in a certain “fragment” (Each fragment contains the information of the whole body.), or certain part of the body, not the specific anatomy of the “fragment”.
Just like other concepts of TCM, this concept puts more emphasis on function than on anatomy. Holographic medicine also stresses that, even on body holographic units, there exists mental-psychological holographic correspondence regulating the body through mind and psychology.
For instance, some point-areas on ear can be used to regulate emotions. We should actively study it to serve the people.
In holographic medicine, the clinical values of holographic units are different.
From the point of human body, those holographic units, which are more important in human activity, are more valuable clinically, because they bear on them more, clearer, more complete information of the body. On the other hand, those holographic units, which are less important in human activity, are less valuable clinically.
For example, human head, ear, eye, hand and foot are pivotally indispensable in human activity. Naturally, they can bear more information of each part of human body, and can also reflect this information more clearly than those less important organs, as metatarsal bones, metacarpal bones, etc.
From the point of human mind, the holographic units which are more closely related to people’s mental-psychological activities are more valuable clinically since they can reflect more mental or psychological information.
On the contrary, those that are less closely related to people’s mental- psychological activities are less valuable in clinical practice. For example, given an individual’s mental-psychological activity, family spirit more than that of the human race as a whole, will influence him or her more greatly.
In clinical practice it is more valuable to use family spirit to regulate mental-psychological abnormalities of family members. But in actual practice, better effect could be achieved only when this holographic relation of human mind and psychology is flexibly applied.
Holographic medicine and holographic biology are different although they both use holographic theory. Holographic medicine builds itself on the theories of traditional Chinese medical science.
In practice, it starts with concept of wholism and differentiation of symptoms and signs, applies to the prevention and treatment of diseases the concept of holographic unit which has both physical and mental-psychological connotation. Holographic medicine also puts stress on integrate
holographic information of holographic units, including not only space holographic characteristics, but also chrono-rhythms. In this sense, only the treatment of diseases at proper time could achieve good effect.
So, holographic medicine is a clinical branch of TCM, belonging to biology psychology socio-medicine. Holographic biology is a branch of biology, belonging to basic theoretical research.
Its subject of study is holographic embryo, which is emphasised as an anatomy-functional unit, not including a concept of mind or psychology.
Tasks of Holographic Medicine
Holographic medicine is a newly established subject. Many important tasks need urgent research:
- Further study on holographic units of the human body and their stereo- distribution to treat diseases and to train more professionals in this field.
- Further study of mental-psychological point-areas on body holographic units in order to treat the patient physically and psychologically as well.
- Further study on mental-psychological holographic analysis and treatment in order to cure the ever-increasing mental-psychological and psychology-physical diseases.
- Further research on holographic mechanisms with the help of modern knowledge and techniques in all subjects concerned in order to establish the classical experiments of the holographic mechanism and to reach the unity of Oriental dialectics and Western analysis.
- Detailed exploration and application of chrono-holography in order that one share of chrono-holographic treatment could bring about the effect that should have been brought about by a dozen shares of more space holographic treatment.
- Development and optimisation of holographic drugs with the help of the holographic theory in order to improve the production and quality of the drug; vigorous development of clinical practice in holographic drug in order to improve the effect of holographic therapy.
- To carry out research on holographic diagnostic -therapeutic instruments, improve the accuracy of instrument diagnosis and the effect of treatment, and to standardise, diversify and automate these medical instruments as well.
- To organise medical experts on holographic medicine to revise the Holographic Medicine every three to five years in order to lay a good foundation for the standardisation of holographic treatment and for the perfection of holographic theory and the training of professionals.
- In 1997, organised by Holographic Medicine Research Agency, with Li Lai Tian, Tian Daozheng and Jiao Chunrong as compilers-in-chief, The Complete Works of Holographic Medicine was published by China Medical Science and Technology Press. These compilers include as many as authoritative experts on holographic medicine in and out of China. For example, Prof. Zhang Xinshu, inventor of Carpal-Angle Acupuncture, Prof. Tian Weizhu, legal heir to the inventor of Eye Acupuncture, Prof. Zhu Mingqing, inventor of Scalp Acupuncture, Dean of American Acupuncture Research Institute, Dr. Zhou Minhua, Director of International Micro-acupuncture Agency, Chairman of California Association of TCM Practitioners and inventor of Zhu-Zhou’s Scalp Acupuncture, Prof. Wang Wenhua, inventor of Nail Diagnosis, Prof. Guan Zunxin, inventor of Tongue Acupuncture, Prof. Liu Yaxian, expert on Mouth Acupuncture, Prof. Zhou Zexin, inventor of Zhu-Zhou’s Scalp Acupuncture, Vice Director of American Acupuncture Research Institute, Prof. Hong Lianggu, Director of Malaysia Holographic Diagnosis-Treatment Center. This fact proves that holographic medicine research involves many experts in and out of China. This book has been selected as text book in USA by International Microacupuncture Agency, and been proved wonderful ever since.
Holographic medicine faces a great many tough tasks and we heartily hope that our fellow doctors home and abroad will contribute their valued advice for the prosperity of holographic medicine.
The Significance of Holographic Medicine
1. Before the theory of holographic medicine was advanced, there were all kinds of diagnoses and treatments for diseases of the whole body by treating certain parts of the body, such as ear acupuncture, foot massage, hand acupuncture, nose acupuncture and mouth acupuncture.
These therapies are accumulated spontaneously from individual or national collective experience, but short of unified theory to direct. Each therapy is independent, without theoretical relations with others, and cannot complement each other.
However, the birth of the holographic medicine theory unites these spontaneous and seemingly independent therapies by means of modern theory of holographic science, and makes them become a diagnostic-therapeutic system guided by the unified theory.
The theory of holographic medicine shows each independent therapy has holographic relation with the whole body, which makes the scattered and independent therapies have the unified holographically interrelated characteristics, under the guidance of the unified theory.
Thus, these therapies are united in a holographic system of diagnosis and treatment, and they have been changed from spontaneity to consciousness, from individual experience to scientific rationality, from independent therapy to a mutually complementary system of diagnosis and treatment with the unification of theory and practice.
2. At present, the numbers and details of acupoints are different in each acupuncture, such as ear acupuncture, mouth acupuncture and foot acupuncture and so on. Each therapy has its own advantage in treating certain disease.
Under the direction of the holographic medicine theory, we can more consciously explore the space-disposed acupoint groups from the already-found acupoint groups in these therapies, and find out the new and unused point-areas tallying with the body epitome to serve the people.
There are great potentialities in this aspect, for instance, we have found the dysmenorrhoea acupoint and constipation acupoint on the side of metacarpal bone. To stimulate the shoulder- area on foot can treat arthritis of innominate bone.
3. The existing hand acupuncture, foot acupuncture and mouth acupuncture, etc. are mostly limited to physical treatment, seldom involving the mental-psychological point-areas.
To explore according to the theory of holographic medicine, we may find out more point-areas concerning mental or psychology-physical diseases to serve the people. For example, motion point-area on hand; point of psychological treatment, seeming-calm point, nervousness area, and pleasure acupoint on ear.
All these make holographic diagnosis and treatment a new troupe of biology psychology socio-medicine.
4. Holographic medicine reveals the connotation of the concept of wholism and differentiation of symptoms and signs on each point-area through holographic therapy, raises the traditional taking stopgap measures — treating the head when the head aches, treating the foot when the foot hurts — to a higher level of the concept of wholism and differentiation of symptoms and signs.
Holographic medicine has been united with traditional Chinese medical-pharmacological theory, and has become a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine and greatly improved the curative effect.
5. In applying holographic diagnoses and treatments from the height of holographic medicine, it is advisable to combine all of them and to complement each other according to the need of the patient’s conditions, thus to improve the curative effect as well as the doctor’s capacity in treating patients.
6. Holographic medicine theory reveals the good effect of proper timing of treatment on holographic therapeutic point-areas. It emphasises that, for diseases, each has its best time limit of treatment.
In this sense, it unifies the age-old chrono-treatment in TCM and the latest chrono- treatment in all types of holographic treatments. So, one share of chrono-holographic treatment could bring about the curative effect that should have been brought about by a dozen shares of space holographic treatment. For instance, in applying Fang’s Scalp Acupuncture to treat insomnia, better effect could be achieved at night than in the daytime.
7. The birth of holographic medicine also brings similar folk diagnoses and treatments of different nationalities to the height of holographic theory. For instance, in some nationality, the large intestine is used to diagnose diseases of the whole body of drought animals.
People used to regard this as a spontaneous experience. But today, from the point of holographic medicine, the large intestine can be viewed as a holographic unit, on which there is holographic information of the whole body. Naturally, it can be used to diagnose and treat diseases of the whole body.
8. It is not long since the theory of holographic medicine was advanced. It is still in exploration in some aspects, such as, the exploration of mental-psychological holographic point-areas in holographic diagnosis- treatment group; the chrono-rhythms of each holographic point-area.
What we have grasped is only a little, which shows the theory of holographic medicine not only perfectly summarizes the former diagnoses and therapies, like hand acupuncture, ear acupuncture and foot acupuncture which were spontaneously researched and summarized and improves them to a holographic system of diagnosis and treatment; but also has a broad orientation and prospect for development and research.
The potential is great. With further exploration in this field, it is sure to make a great contribution to the health of human beings and become one of the most important subjects in safeguarding human health in the coming century.